Monday, June 20, 2011

Delightful Surprises

My quilting friend Freda surprised me with a beautiful quilted Mug Rug in the mail Saturday! 
"What's a mug rug?", you ask.  Well, bigger and more absorbent than a coaster, papertowel, cardboard, or sandstone (which is what I used in the past under a cup).  And certainly more beautiful and interesting.


I mean, how gorgeous is this?!  PURPLE!  And oh so practical.  I told her that it would immediately and forevermore replace the 'relic' sandstone coaster that never really absorbed anything all these years.  And note the detail in quilt stitching, around each little star and planet; so nicely done!

Now to put it to good use:  Among the mugs in my cupboard is this favorite:
A print from an original work by my friend and fellow vendor Ivey Hayes.  His art work is vibrant and fun, and full of life!  Each concept evokes emotion, be it about the eastern shores, the south, music, crops, or even death.  I love his vivid palette, which portrays Mr. Hayes' zest for life.  He is one fine gentleman who loves to meet and greet, making each one feel loved.

And did you notice?  The rug and the mug have "threads" of a similar theme:  The sky!

These two items and their creators inspire me to want to learn quilting, and to pull out my paints and canvas.  But alas, there are only so many hours in the day, so for now I will combine these ideas and see what develops at the torch with all that colorful glass that awaits me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you like the mug rug... goes very well with that beautiful mug!

    ReplyDelete